Monday, November 17, 2008

Vertical Marathon 2008




Joe and I had finally run the Vertical Marathon at Swissotel The Stamford :). It had always been my childhood dream to climb the 73 storeys, Southeast Asia's tallest hotel. Last time when I was young, probably in my primary days, I watched the news that people had run up the 1336 steps, I am quite amused and would like to participate in this event as well... hee....

Before the race, I target myself to climb below 30mins and if under 20mins I would be very happy and satisfied. hee... Well, I started off running up 2 steps at a time... .. maybe at ard 30+ level (cnt really remember as I am getting tired and cldnt think too much :p) I started to change strategy to walk 2 steps at a time for 1st part and run 2 steps at a time for the 2nd part (every level consist of 2 'parts' plus 1 short distance, cnt rememeber exactly, jus wana do it and complete it). While approaching the 42 level, I run up the steps... haa.. coz we knew there's a camera been position there and shoot throughout the race and boardcast 'live' on the TV :p ...

I find running up to 42 level rather more difficult and tiring. When I am approaching 60 level, my mind is more relieve, as there's only 10 over levels more to climb. When my thighs become more and more tired and 'harden', I ask myself why am I doing this to 'torture' onself and laugh to myself.. hee... But I thought there's no turning back now and just finish it off. Just keep going and made the best result. Just do it and complete it. Anyway, halfway through, although I am very tired, I feel that I am moving faster than what I had expected and plan to complete it under 15mins. Along the way, I saw participants resting in the 'hotel corridor' and some sitting on the stairs and catching their breathe.

62.. 64.. 67.. 79... as the number move closer to 70, I feel more happy and motivated... hee...
72! Finally, I had completed 72 storeys! :)

I was so tired by then. Haa... After cooling myself down at the helipad, I walk down the stairs to take a lift down. When I walk the stairs, my legs wobble... wobbling uncontrolable! I had to hold hard on to the railing to move down.

Months and weeks of on-and-off training had finally help me to complete the Vertical Marathon. Although the record time is 6min 52sec, I am rather surprise and very happy with my result of 12min 35sec .. hee.... :)

No comments: