Thursday, August 21, 2008

Money No Enough 2

Jack Neo is back again... .. bringing Money No Enough 2 to the local screen.

Prior watching the film, I have half-expected it to be a ' so-so or not-good' production from Jack Neo. At the same time, I wana give 'his production another chance' before I give another comments. Well, in the midst of the film, I had knew the answer. The film turn out to be worse than what I had expected!!! :(

Some parts are rather draggy... Joke are of the 'same pattern'... Midway through the movie, the story seems to focus on the 3 sons' elderly mother. Well, I suppose, Jack thought it is the 'no money' element that had brought the mother to a pathetic journey till her death.. or simply wana add some 'emotion' to his film. But lots of time the part is too draggy (is it because .. running out of ideas??) and focus a lot on the mother which led to me ponder the film's tittle: is it called Money No Enough 2 or Mother?

The story contain scenes on the mother's Alzeimer's disease or Parkinson (I am not sure of the actual difference between this 2 sickness) where she insist his son to find her bra in the middle of the night and asking his son 'Have you eaten?' countless of times ... which bring laughters from the audience.. well, frankly, I duno that should I laugh or should I feel disgusted, coz the scene may be a bit 'funny' to some but has Jack think of the real life people whose parent also suffer from this same fate?? Although this is a comedy show, but somehow it is not a real-dumb comedy or slapstick (mo lei toe style- Stephen Chow's film) film. I suppose he intend to inject the mother's suffering condition to touch many hearts and intend to make it as a laughing matter at the same time, in this case, I dun think it should be mix togehter as a joke to these patient. Somehow, in the middle of the audience laughter, I feel like asking some of them... 'What is so funny?'.

Is this a comedy, informative, attack-government film or a 3-in-1 film? I could 'agreed' with some of the 'mother's story' eg, where the son put her in the toilet having her meal (which is quite disturbing) or wana send her to the Old Folk's Home, etc.. which the director wana inject some facts and emotions into the film. But I couldn't 'accept' the way that you wana intend to project real life saddness-suffering as a joke to the audience.

For this I give 2 thumbs down!
It is absolutely distasteful.

Although I personnally couldn't agreed with some parts of the film, I still respect Jack (minus some of the mother's scenes) for his courage and drive. I may not really like his movie style, but he did reach his goal and motive - to capture the mainstream Singaporean heart. And of course, one cannot deny his bravery to carry certain citizens' displeasure in his film.

No comments: